Tuesday, July 24, 2012

REVIEW: E.L.F. Blush & Bronzer Palette

Yesterday, I was out shopping with my mom and decided to stop by at the department store to buy some foundation (which I'll be doing a review on soon) when I recalled that I also wanted to buy a contouring powder for umm... reasons.

I guess I got a little jealous when I watched Youtube's pixi2woo's contour & highlight video. I highly recommend that you subscribe to her channel since she is just amazing and she makes everything seem so easy. It's perfect for beginners or amateurs (like me). PLUS you'll love her accent. hahaha!

(To watch the said video, click here)

So back to the palette. 

I was actually opting to buy some thing from Ever Bilena. I was going to buy their blush in Earth (Php 160.00) but realized it was too dark for me. Also, I was never really a fan of their products since I find them hard to blend. 
(the Ever Bilena cheek blush in Earth) 


So I decided to check out E.L.F. and asked the sales lady if they had anything that I could use for contouring. She recommended the bronzers but I decided not to go with it since it's best not to use anything shimmery for contouring. That's when she suggested the E.L.F. Blush & Bronzer Palette. I got it on sale for only 185 pesos, but it's regularly priced at Php 250.






 I found the box really cute. It had this notepad thing going on.
And the container itself was plain and simple. It was smaller than most palettes though which was okay since it was really handy and quite inexpensive.











The blushes were both really pretty. 
However, they seemed a little intimidating at first since I was used to wearing blushes that were a little peachy or even red (since I turn red and not pink when I blush). Also, the pale pink looked too pale for my taste while the other one was too bright or unnatural. I thought I wouldn't be able to use the blushes much since it wouldn't go well with my skin.



 The bronzer was the perfect shade and it was matte. Most makeup artists would recommend you buying a matte one instead of one with shimmer since it was more practical for contouring. Besides, you could always shimmer to the matte ones if you want. :)


The darker pink and the lighter bronzer (which I used as a highlighter) had some shimmer on it, which led me to believe that these would be pretty sheer.

But I have been seriously misled. 


Swatches of the Blushes and Bronzers at one swipe each

As you can see, the blushes and bronzers are incredibly pigmented. You get a lot of the product in just one swipe. The color isn't as harsh on my skin and looked really pretty, even. What came to a shock to me was that the light pink color looked pretty natural and so did the barbie pink one. I loved the highlighter and bronzer as well. They were easy to use and blend.  However, the light pink and the highlighter can be a bit chalky when you use too much. The staying power was quite good as well.

So here's a before and after of my face. I didn't use too much of the product though so it isn't quite obvious in the pictures (which is good since it looks natural). However, you'll still notice the pop of color on my face and the difference made with the contouring.

before 
after
(sorry 'bout the bad lighting)

PROS

  • pretty packaging
  • pretty colors <3
  • looked natural
  • can work on all skin tones
  • did not break me out
  • great for contouring & highlighting
  • inexpensive (4 colors for Php250!)
  • great lasting power
  • easy to use 
  • available in most department stores (Landmark, SM, Watson's, Robinson's)


CONS


  • the light pink may be a too pale for some
  • the light pink & the highlighter can be a bit too chalky
  • no mirror
  • no brush

Will I repurchase?

Yes. Once I finish this baby off, I'm definitely gonna get another one.

Rating:

8/10





2 comments:

  1. Makeups at ELF Cosmetics are affordable and handy that’s why I love the said brand.

    ~Pauline @Kallony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I just have an issue with their products breaking in their containers. But other than that, I love elf. :)

      Delete